Wednesday 20 June 2012

Yuvraj Singh



New Delhi: Yuvraj Singh, who is on his road to recovery from a rare germ cell cancer, is targeting return to the cricket field for the ICC World Twenty20 which will be held in Sri Lanka in September.

In an interview to the ICC-produced weekly show, the India all-rounder hinted that he might be available for selection and tagged India as favourites to win the title.

"I think (the) favourites are India because we've got the biggest hitters - biggest hitters in town that's what I want to say. Hopefully I should be back by then. I'm not saying I'm the reason, it's just that I feel we have the strongest side and if we can sort out our bowling out in T20 I'm sure we can be a strong unit. There are other strong teams like Australia, South Africa which always compete at the top level at world events," he said.

Yuvraj, who is perhaps best remembered for his astonishing six sixes off one Stuart Broad over at the ICC World Twenty20 South Africa 2007, however, said he would avoid coming back to play prematurely.

"Playing for India is going to be a huge challenge for me because the body has been under a lot of shock which nobody can understand except me. Only a cancer patient can understand what he is going through. So it's going to be a big challenge for me to come back and play for India again."

Having already returned to light training, Yuvraj believes that his recovery is going well, and is enjoying a healthier lifestyle.

"I'm feeling good. It's been two months since I finished my chemotherapy. Initially my energy levels were low but now I am following my diet and eating loads of food and it's getting better in recovery. I've done six or seven sessions very light training and very light yoga. I'm just getting back into the groove of being a normal person, breathe normally, which is a lot of excitement and fun for me at the moment."

"The support was overwhelming, especially from India. One of the students from a college in Indianapolis came to see me and I felt like I was in India. I just want to thank everybody for their support and for their care. I went through chemotherapy which is hard for everybody but the wishes and the love is what made me come back," said Yuvraj.

Yuvraj also decided to share his emotional journey in coping with cancer in a very public manner via his personal Twitter account.

Explaining the reasons for this Yuvraj said: "There was a lot of speculation on what cancer I had, what had been going on, so I just want to keep everybody in the loop by saying this is what is happening and this is how my treatment is being done and I'm being positive. I just want to spread the message to other people who are diagnosed with such a disease that they can also fight it with the support of their family and their loved ones."

No comments:

Post a Comment