Wednesday 26 September 2012

World T20

Simon Taufel to quit umpiring after World T20 Colombo:

Simon Taufel will step down from the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires after the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka, which runs until October 7, to take up the new role of Umpire Performance and Training Manager, the ICC said on Wednesday.

The 41-year-old from Australia made his international debut in January 1999 in an ODI between Australia in Sri Lanka in Sydney and 23 months later he made his Test debut in the Boxing Day Test between Australia and the West Indies.

In an outstanding career, Taufel umpired in 74 Tests and 174 ODIs with his last Test and ODI appearances being at Lord's a month ago in matches featuring England and South Africa. Taufel won the ICC Umpire of the Year award for five successive years from 2004 to 2008 and also had the honour of umpiring in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 final between India and Sri Lanka at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. He also stood in the finals of the ICC World Twenty20 2007 and 2009 in South Africa and England respectively, as well as in the final of the ICC Champions Trophy 2004 in England along with Rudi Koertzen.

Announcing his decision, Taufel said: "Following the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, I'm moving on from active international umpiring for personal and professional reasons. My wife and children have supported me immensely throughout my career and it is time for me to spend more time with them. Taufel also thanked for the support he received during his illustrious career.

More >>

No comments:

Post a Comment